These night shifts are twelve hours long, six in a row. I had to pilfer more scrubs from the surgery locker room because I don't have time to do laundry. I had to run my dishwasher with little more than silverware in it, because I'm out of butter knives with which to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
And these night shifts are busy. There's no sitting around, there's no sleeping. There's often no time to pee. I keep finding myself suddenly aware that I've never had to pee so badly in my life.
On a related note, I've been going through a lot of caffeinated crystal light, which comes in handy little to-go packets. Unfortunately, when I was last stocking up at Wal-mart, all they had was Wal-mart brand, so that's what I bought. I had two separate packets rupture in the pocket of my white coat last night.
Some of the interns really make me appreciate how far I've come. Some of them cause me to let the nurses know that if they have any questions about what the intern told them they should feel free to page me to check.
In recent weeks, there have been several patients who died 'near' me; as in, not because of anything I did, but while I was involved in their care. Even without feeling responsible, its sobering. Its also a crappy phone call to the family to have to make. Next time I'm making the intern do it.
On a different note, I received a jury duty summons from Milwaukee county. They graciously let me off the hook after I filled out their online juror questionnaire with pertinent details like my current address is in Cleveland, and the trip from my residence to the courthouse would be approximately 430 miles.
I'm going through a major coconut popsicle phase. They are tasty and delicious.
:)
1 comment:
It's good to look back and realize we are making progress ... just keep at it. You can do it!
And we like coconut popsicles too
Post a Comment