Wednesday, September 28, 2011

random thoughts about moving

On saturday all of my belongings got moved from my old apartment to my new house. Many of them remain in boxes at this point, which is not terribly surprising if you've moved anytime in the last ten years. Fortunately I learned from my last move, when it took forever to get my bathroom set up again because my bathroom stuff had ended up in three different boxes. This time it was all into one box, easily assessable. This plan worked; I was able to shower the same night I moved, and then put on clean pyjamas and climb into a bed with clean sheets (one of the best feelings in the world) due to the easy accessibility of the washer and dryer in the basement.

That said, I still have no idea where my watch is.

The kitties are still a little scared of everything, but they're slowly getting used to their new environment.

Part of the reason my stuff is still in boxes is that I had to go clean my old apartment, which had to happen after work, since there is no time off for moving. This cleaning job was epic, no other word for it. I spackled the holes in the walls, vacuumed the bedroom (twice) and stairs, then moved on to the bathroom, where I discovered the amazing usefulness of scrubbing bubbles soap scum formula. I bought it to use in the shower, but it did such an amazing job (it even made the chrome shiny) that I then used it on the sink, which also got really shiny. Eventually I finished with the bathroom and moved on the kitchen. I took one look at the microwave and thought to myself "hummm, I wonder...." Sure enough the scrubbing bubbles did a great job on the microwave. Then they did a great job on the stove top. Then they did a great job on the oven. Finally they did a great job on the kitchen sink. Needless to say, I highly recommend those scrubbing bubbles.

Not as highly recommended, at least for polished concrete, is swiffer wet pads, which left a residue that I then had to go back and wipe off with a towel.

When I was done, that apartment was epically clean. I am She-ra.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Cleaning is the worst part of moving so I'm glad you had help from those bubbles. Good luck finding your watch.