So, I am painfully aware that my life consists of work and sleep, and of course, the kitties. To a certain extent, this singular focus is to be expected during this intern year, and somewhat throughout the rest of residency. But sometimes I try to pretend I have a life...
I found out about a concert I wanted to go to, actually traded shifts with a coworker so I could go, and have been looking forward to it all week. And considering its been a week of family members demanding unnecessary consults and negotiating with patients so they will leave the hospital, its been helpful to have something to look forward to. I've also been looking forward to the fact that this week marks the end of my last month on the general medicine floors as an intern. This is a milestone.
Anyway, I got all dressed in the casual clothes I never get to wear anymore, wore my nice black pea coat, and decided to walk downtown rather than take the bus, because it wasn't too cold and its nice to sight see. Most of the street I walked down is nice, including playhouse square, which is the Cleveland theater district, Cleveland state university, a bunch of restaurants and shops. There is, however, one block in the middle of everything that is just dead. The buildings empty, the restaurants closed... I really don't know what is with that one block, but it serves as a reminder that Cleveland is in the process of reviving, after a long slump.
Eventually I arrived at the House of Blues (I've also been to the chicago location) and went to the concert (the band was Guster)(most of you won't have heard of them) which was great, and then took the bus home. Being out at night in a city always makes me feel so urban-chic, as does taking mass transit, and then I came home to my urban-chic loft apartment... Never mind that my apartment building is a few too many blocks away from actual downtown to count as urban-chic, and never mind the less-than-glamorous compression stockings I was wearing to try to counteract the effects of all that standing (the house of blues is mostly a standing venue) and never mind how I rounded out my urban-chic evening by coming home to a tall glass of milk before bed...
So maybe I'm not urban-chic. But it was an attempt at having a life :)
2 comments:
Sounds like fun, even if you did have to do a bit of pretending. But really, who doesn't have to do a bit of pretending? :)
You go girl!!
Post a Comment