Thursday, April 28, 2011

partial blackout

So, I'm experiencing something very strange here in Cleveland, a partial blackout, if indeed that is the right term. There is some power to my building and to my apartment, but not much. Its odd, actually. My stove works, but not the microwave. The fridge has just enough power to make the lights come on. Not enough to keep the food cold. And I just went shopping yesterday. My milk, my popsicles, all toast... The kitty fountain is running, but just barely. Most of the lights will come on, but dimly. The heater is not working. The lights in my bedroom won't come on at all, and while the hall lights were doing ok, though a little dim, one of them just went out. Oddly enough, I have power to both my laptop and my router, so I've got internet. My fan just randomly came back on, but not the light nearby.

This is really weird, especially as it doesn't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason. It kind of feels like a dress-rehearsal for the apocalypse. I have my trusty, never before used 100 hour candle from my 72 hour kit lit, and can say it gives off very steady light. I also have a spare candle (the regular kind) and a lighter in my pocket. I don't expect total blackout, but who knows at this rate?

This is all due to a severe wind storm early this morning. This afternoon things were still gusting quite a bit. Quite a lot of people were listed as being without power according to my power company's website, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that our partial loss of power isn't high on their list.

Still, very strange.

No comments: