Saturday, March 26, 2011

Random thoughts

So, spring is in the air. Sort of. The weather is in that teasing stage, 50's for a week, then back to the 20's. But its light sooner in the morning, the grass is green, and we're still moving closer to warmth and sun. Yay!

I really dislike February. And I feel that it dislikes me back.

Patients will stay home instead of come to their clinic appointments when its raining, but they'll still make it in if its snowing.

Pat is shedding a massive amount of fur right now; I keep picking up black hairball dust bunnies.

I made rice and beans today, which turned out deliciously. That pot of rice and beans represents the first time I've done any cooking in weeks. This indicates a mild return of energy. It also indicates that its farther away from February.

I also made a white bean and tuna salad type item that was pretty good considering I got the recipe from a magazine... The kitties were very sad I didn't share some tuna with them. They feel strongly about tuna and how it should always be shared with them.

I have only a week left of general medicine floors as an intern. Wahoo!! (I'm all tired and stuff...)

I borrowed a couple of yoga relaxation dvds from the new branch of the library in my hospital, and I learned a stretch that actually gets that muscle under the shoulder blades that is always so tight. Amazing.

My neighbor is a fan of Coldplay. He is also a fan of loud music. I don't think I should be able to hear the actual words of the song through the walls.

I learned a new curly hair management technique called "plopping" from Jamie and from youtube, which has moved me closer to effective hair management. Its always good to have less-frizzy hair.

It really sucks to diagnose people with cancer. I've now admitted four people who immediately made me worried that they had cancer, and four times I've been right. That's not a fun thing to be right about.

I'm going to a Guster concert next friday, that I'm pretty excited about. It'll be nice to get out and have some fun. Though its at the House of Blues, and HOB is usually a standing-only venue (though I've only been to the one in chicago) and I've got a bruise on the bottom of my heal, which could complicate the standing. Maybe I'll join the mosh pit and get all banged up so I don't have any attention to spare for my bruised heal. (The old 'I'll stomp on your foot and then your thumb won't hurt anymore' idea) Maybe its a stress fracture instead of a bruise, from standing up all morning during rounds...

I've been thinking about medicine and how concrete its good to be. My attending for the past week is very concrete. For any given diagnosis, she's got a set-in-stone way to treat it, which I disagree with on principle, because people don't respond the same to the same treatment. If that worked as a strategy, then all we would need would be a general database where you could type in the diagnosis and know exactly what to do. Not that you can't look up what to do, but most of the time sources of that type of information admit that there's more than one way to treat things. But it is a good idea to know what to do with a given diagnosis. I just don't believe it should be set in stone. Especially with how often our official medical opinion on things changes. Does anyone actually know if eggs are good for us right now? I don't.

That's all my random thoughts for now...

No comments: