Saturday, July 24, 2010

Random thougths

So, today I went to one of Cleveland's Metroparks, which form a pretty amazing network throughout the area and include some really beautiful areas, though none are particularly close to where I live. Oh well. The one I went to today is home to Squire's Castle;

It was in fact originally intended to be the gatehouse to a huge estate, built by Feargus Squire, one of the Standard Oil guys. For reasons known only to himself he never continued with the estate building, but used the gatehouse as a retreat. Its pretty gutted inside, but you can walk all through it, and floor-plan wise, its pretty fabulous. It has a breakfast porch.

The rest of the park was fabulous as well, not that I saw all of it, because its huge. But very lovely, in the green, lush, understated way that Ohio is lovely.

On other matters, I find it entertaining how hard toyota is trying to regain their "reliability" throne, from which they tumbled so unceremoniously several months ago. The loss of said throne, combined with out economic "downturn," which has not magically gone away, no matter how hard the government tries to convince us it has, must really be hurting them, because their campaign is really starting to take on a desperate edge.

I successfully made a screen for my window, thanks to the screen making kits available at Home Depot, and the nice employee who cut the metal frame for me, since I don't have a hack saw and don't really want to buy one. Its a lovely screen, and very nice to be able to open the window, get fresh air, feel a breeze, and not worry that I'm inviting in an army of blood-sucking mosquitoes that will leave me anemic before giving me half a dozen blood-borne diseases. Yay for me!

I finally got my Ohio driver's license, which I had been avoiding because of how hard they make it. Not only do you have to take the written test, but you have to present your social security card, your birth certificate or passport, proof of residency, and pay by cash or check, no cards accepted. And you have to wait around, alot. The whole process only took about four hours.... (not joking)

At work so far I've been on consult services, which offer comparatively cushy hours. Monday I start on the floors. I'm trying to get all rested up in advance. At lease there's no more overnight call. Someone still stays overnight, but they don't have to show up until 9:00 at night, instead of 6:30 in the morning (which pushed the limits of the 30 hours work restriction). I am profoundly grateful for that, as I had my doubts about how well I'd do with those 30 hours.

I wanted to buy a new tea kettle when I was at Wal-mart the other day, but search as I might (at least 15 min, up and down the aisles) I could not find any. There were about 400 options in coffee makers, but a simple device for boiling water? No.

I bought one online instead, on sale no less, which will match the pretty blue bowls I got at big lots, and the pretty blue cookware set I am giving myself for my birthday.

I squished a bug earlier; its easy to tell when there's a bug because Sephie will be either following it across the floor with her nose, or playing 'bat, bat' with it. She thinks they should all play with her.

No comments: