Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cleaning

Today I went on a cleaning rampage, for several reasons. A) The apartment was pretty dirty. B) I'm pretty much house bound while I hang out in automobile limbo (stupid auto body shop still hasn't gotten to my estimate). C) I recently purchased a carpet kitty scratching pad to replace the one that is a big chunk of corrugated cardboard which Sephy tears to bits, which then end up all over the apartment. The little bits of cardboard are THE reason I got the carpet scratching pad, because apparently cats really need to scratch *something.* This cleaning rampage was pretty impressive, hitting every room of the apartment (except Megan's room, of course). I even dusted. And took the broom to all the edges of the rooms, since my little stick vacuum isn't great with edges. Sephy is, of course, still mad at me for vacuuming. (she hates the noise)

I also did three loads of laundry, which required getting more quarters. Oddly enough, the bank that is three blocks away will not give you quarters in exchange for a five dollar bill unless you have an account with them. I must be wrong, but I thought cash was cash. Luckily, there is a small grocery store right next to the bank, and the nice cashier was willing to give me all my change on a 39 cent fruit leather in quarters.

As I was cleaning I had time to think about how with three roommates, none of them have ever cleaned much of the apartment. Melody; well, we remember Melody. There was never a chance she was going to clean anything. Crystal cleaned the bathroom I think once the entire year we lived together. Megan has cleaned more than anyone else, the bathroom a couple of times, cleans up after herself in the kitchen, and even swiffered the kitchen floor once. But no one but me has ever vacuumed the living room. I'm not sure why that is. The upside to being single, of course, is that things just don't get very dirty very often, so this issue isn't nearly as big a deal as it could be. I was also thinking about how a room looks cleaner when there's less in it. I'm working on this one, mainly with my bedroom. But I am shifted into moving-in-a-few-months mode, where you start throwing stuff away and try not to buy anything in a big container. I quite like that mode.

good times.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I hear you on the shifting into moving-mode soon. Only I can't get rid of anything yet because I don't remember half of what we have anymore. Once we move and get everything unpacked, we're holding a big yard sale and getting rid of a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, that means we have to move all that stuff first. Oh well.

Vickie said...

Moving is always good motivation to get rid of stuff - too bad I always want to get rid of Jared's stuff and he always wants to get rid of mine.