Thursday, October 29, 2009

St. Joe's, and avoiding the appearance...

Free lunch today at St Joe's was shepherd's pie. It was nice that it was something I could actually eat (so much of the time they offer only gluten-intensive items) but it wasn't particularly good shepherd's pie. It did make me hungry for good shepherd's pie, so I think its suddenly on the menu for this weekend...

Speaking of this weekend, I'll be done with my surgery sub-I after rounds saturday morning. Yay! I'll look forward to getting some sleep. My presentation went pretty well, and its nice to be done with it. Really nice.

My white coat is due a nice long soak in a bucket of oxyclean. I don't think its been this grey since before I discovered oxyclean. And there are a few blood stains. Why do they have to be white, anyway?

I had a surreal experience in a laundromat the other day. It was one I'd never been to before because its not very nice and my usual laundromat, just down the street, is well maintained, open and well lighted, but for some reason it was closed, so I had to go to this other one. It's a very long (deep), narrow facility, clean and well lit, but with fake wood panelling on the walls, so it feels like a low-budget basement, a really dusty fake plant in a corner, and two metal ship sculptures on the wall, kind of an odd touch. When I first went in the song "Funky Town" was playing on the radio, which made a nice counterpoint to the fake-wood paneling. It was kind of late at night, the sign on the door said it would be closing about 15 minutes after I got there, but I really needed to do wash, so I started my load anyway and settled in to read about lower limb amputations (what my presentation was about), but I wasn't sure what was going to happen after closing time. There was one other person there when I arrived (also someone who usually goes down the street) but she left while my clothes were still in the washing machine. So, I was alone in this ghetto basement (not really a basement) of a laundromat at 11:30 on a saturday night, a laundromat on North Ave, no less, and considerably closer to the ghetto than I live (I live on a nice part of North Ave, but its a long street...). Then the lights turned off. Luckily the power didn't shut off, but there was no way that I could find to turn the lights back on, so I finished my laundry by the light of the vending machines. A tiny bit creepy (on the radio at that point they were doing a call-in question 'how did the headless horseman lose his head in the first place') but really, mostly surreal. And I was sitting there thinking, my life is so full of stories like this; why me?

I tell you what though, next time I move I really want there to be a washer and dryer on hand, preferably free.


On a completely different note; we were brought up with the idea of avoiding the appearance of evil (certainly it got a bit annoying at times) but the older I get and the more I live in places like Milwaukee, the more I find that concept to be my friend. Certainly I don't want anyone to think I do things I don't do, that they'll get somewhere that they're not going to get. I don't even want it to be a question. That said, one of the third year students I've been working with this month could really benefit from this idea as well. She's Indian, (Indian, not Native American), and was apparently raised with some strict standards, which, for the most part, she claims to maintain. But she also thinks she should be able to dress the way she wants, act the way she wants, etc, without regard to standards. She stated more than once during the month 'you think you know me, but you have no idea', which, for starters, is a little too MTV The Real World, but anyway... Today someone joked about how they bet she had a tattoo, and she was completely offended (why would she think that???) (which she followed up by checking with the other third years to see if they would be offended). And I was left thinking about how you can't be offended by what people think of you if you're giving them every reason to think that. Hence, avoiding the appearance of evil, and its benefits.


.

No comments: