Sunday, June 28, 2009

Adventures in poverty

I kind of feel like this is a 4-H project; survey your cupboard, nearly bare, and see what you can come up with. In a way its kind of fun, a game, a challenge. I actually have a food storage of sorts, kind of unofficial. It could almost be mistaken for just keeping more food in my cupboards than I'm going to eat, stuff that'll keep for awhile. Some of it actually got moved here from Utah, since I couldn't see throwing it away, and I'm glad of it now.
Today I came up with Taco Soup. I had canned chicken in my cupboard, which kind of tastes like tuna but I figure taco soup has enough seasoning to overcome the tuna thing. I also had canned corn, black beans, tomatoes, and a random can of hominy, which is basically soft corn nuts. I had to look up a receipt online for making taco seasoning, since I don't keep that around but do keep spices on hand; so far the soup seems like it'll be good.
Unfortunately, while I'll have a big pot of soup, there's not a whole lot left in my cupboards beyond that, other than a partial box of cream o wheat and a few other random bits and bobs. Good thing I get a big check on the 2nd.

I officially finished my third year of med school on friday, which is pretty sweet. A major accomplishment, though it hasn't quite sunk in yet.

Black cherry kool-aid is awesome, black cherry jelly not so much.

:)

No comments: