No man or woman is an island unto themselves, especially not in medicine, and by that I don't just mean internal medicine, I mean all of it. I don't think my roommate believes me, because we've had this discussion before. I'll mention something about me team, or my team that month, or my intern, or whatever, and she'll make a comment about why does it matter what they do, if you like them or not, etc, because can't you just go off and do your own thing? If you're a surgeon, isn't it just you and the nurses? Wow. Medicine is not like that. Everything is done on a team; if it wasn't, who would you learn from? You would never learn anything left to your own devices, and you'd be doing ALL the work, which is not what anyone wants. But the big point is, medicine IS team based. You have to work with people,
whether you want to or not, so you really should try to want to.
I hate messing stuff up(like, really hate it), even if its something stupid, easily corrected, even if its something that I had no way of knowing was wrong... It makes me feel on edge, waiting to get yelled at, told I'm a failure. After those surgery comments, well, I'm feeling pretty delicate.
On a different but obscurely related point, people hate it when you beat them at their own game. I've found this any number of times now. Crystal, brat who wanted her own way with everything, got really mad when I got around her and made it my way instead of hers. Melody, who wants to talk and be listened to, gets mad when I talk over her so I can get a word in edgewise. People on surgery, full of attitude, get mad when you have attitude too. Their lips were puckered up when they were the JMS, now they want their butts kissed...
No comments:
Post a Comment