Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Is anything better than an electric blanket during a Wisconsin winter?

I got a new electric blanket this year, since the cheap one from last year did what cheap ones do, i.e.. it died.  This time I got a somewhat more expensive model, on major sale at Kohl's, where it sometimes seems that they start at a higher price for no other reason than to be able to put it on sale later.  Anyway, two weeks into owning this fabulous new electric blanket, it died, suddenly and completely (after a short illness.  It was preceded in death by its second cousin, sunbeam, and is survived by the new electric blanket).  Of course, this happened just in time for it to get really cold.  I was, needless to say, sad.  Today, I went down to Kohl's and traded the dead one for a not-dead one, which will hopefully last a bit longer.  I'm taking it as a good sign that when I plugged it in and turned it on it didn't say 'E' first thing, like the deceased blanket did.  I know, warning signs from the start.  Currently, I am luxuriating in a cocoon of warmth, the controls turned up to high, and wondering if anything is really better than an electric blanket (that works) during a Wisconsin winter.  

On a side note, Sephy, my kitty, is also a big fan of electric blankets, though the last two nights when it was dead she had a chance to show off her not-inconsiderable heat producing talents.  Always a modest kitty, she prefers to sprawl on a pre-heated surface whenever possible.  


No comments: