Things that are weird - my legs are a lot skinnier that they were before. I had to get all new tall boots, because last year's are now huge in the calf, and I now have thigh gap. I don't even hardly know what to think about that, since it seems like disproportionate weight loss, and I've always had thunder thighs. However, it is what it is.
I'm getting new glasses, because I've become aware from looking at pictures of myself that my current glasses are too wide for my face now.
Prior to my trip to Peru, I had been exercising at the gym, but not running, because that seems to make my patello-femoral syndrome worse. Patello-femoral syndrome is when your knees hurt because they are being pulled out of alignment by unequally developed heads of the quad, which is the muscle on the front of the thigh, and is called the quad(ricepts femoris, if you want to be official) because it has four heads. I over-developed the outer heads doing karate, and once over-developed, they don't seem to ever want to go back to being normal. If I do lots of leg extensions, which works the heads evenly, things stay ok, but if I go hiking in the mountains of Peru, and in particular, climb 8 million steps, it becomes a problem regardless of how many leg extensions I did before I left. After allowing a period of time for things to atrophy a little so my knees could stop hurting, I decided that if it was going to be a problem anyway, I might as well try some running. So today I busted out a mile, no stopping, and felt pretty good, except for not being able to breath, which I never have been able to do while running. Anyway, yay me! I then went and did 5 sets of leg extensions, because hey, if I can keep from having knee troubles, I'll do it.
I had my one year surgery follow up appointment today, and was told some great news; I am allowed to take NSAIDS again! For the males who might be reading this, you will likely never understand why that is a great thing, but for the females, lets just say that tylenol/tramadol just does not get the job done when it comes to cramps.
I have listed a large amount of my previous wardrobe on Poshmark, a site for selling used clothing, in an effort to recoup some of the cost of completely replacing my wardrobe (I know, first world problems). So far I have sold only one item, but others are getting interest, so we'll see how it goes.
I am hopeful to get my braces off in March or so. That will be super nice, especially as my teeth kind of hurt right now because they got a little crazy with the power chains at my last appointment.
Finally, I wanted to share this video for the Piano Guys 'Fight Song/Amazing Grace,' because its awesome, both the song and the visuals.
2 comments:
Thigh gap? How interesting. Do your legs feel as strong as before?
And good luck selling your old wardrobe.
My legs do feel strong, though there has been loss of muscle mass throughout
Post a Comment