Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Random thoughts

So, I went to Maui with Jessica last month.  It was fabulous; warm, sunny and just the break I needed after things have been so stressful at work.  Here are some pictures that I posted to Facebook, (the link should work even without a Facebook account).

Here also is an awesome clip of some humpback whales breaching, a mamma and calf, which we saw when we went on a whale watching boat.  We were apparently super fortunate, as much of the time all they see are a few fins.  I had to make the video kind of low resolution to post it; there is a higher resolution version on my Facebook page.




Here also is a picture of me and Jessica on the whale watching boat; it is one of our travel traditions to take a double selfie, often while inadvertently matching.



I have been otherwise very busy with work.  Winter is the busy season, and we have been extremely busy, with large numbers of patients to take care of, and for a while, a lot of people getting sick and calling in.  That part seems to have eased off.  Things have also gotten a little better after management stepped back on the electronic notes we had started doing at the beginning of November.  In general electronic notes are a good thing (a really good thing), but our existing electronic medical record program is so bad that writing a note is a slow and painful process.  It slowed us down enough that they eventually stepped back and we are back to paper notes, which is unexpectedly a relief.  My hospital is actually in the process of deciding on a new electronic medical record system, but getting it up and running will take a minimum of two years, which is very saddening.  :(

I'm doing well from a post-op perspective.  I just had my 3 month follow up, didn't get yelled at for anything other than not getting quite enough exercise, but my surgeon does understand my work schedule, so he only yelled a little.  I've lost more than 40 lb since having the surgery; to put it in the big picture, this morning in weighed 190, which is 82 lbs lost since beginning the braces and dry socket diet.  Not too shabby.  I finally broke down and went to the store and bought some jeans, since I didn't have any pants that fit(I've been getting by with leggings).

I'm just finishing a week off, during which the kitties have been having a stomach bug of some sort; first Sephy then Patty-cake with repeated vomiting and diarrhea.  I ran out of paper towels, am almost out of carpet cleaner, and am really glad I don't have an infant with all that mess to clean up all the time.  Fortunately, Sephy seems to be all better and Patty-cake, who got sick after Sephy, is on the up swing.  There will likely be some vomit to clean up when I get home from work tomorrow, though.  Joy.

I am nearing the end of the lease period of my focus, and, as has always been my intention at this time, I have purchased a car.  Specifically, a milk chocolate colored Prius V, which is the body style similar to a small SUV.  Its new, because they've only been making the V for a few years and people don't tend to trade in priuses.  It is a very cool vehicle, but we won't get into all of that; I don't want you guys to get too jealous.  I do need to find a good auto detailer who can try to buff some scratches out the the paint on the focus so they don't try to take me to the cleaners too badly with the lease return inspection.   I'm not sharing a picture of the new car, because the sun wasn't shining when I tried to take a picture, so you couldn't really see the color.  If I remember, I'll share one later.

:)

1 comment:

Vickie said...

It's amazing how a really bad electronic records program can make everything more difficult. I'm glad your management changed. And kudos on the weight loss!