Sunday, March 8, 2015

Random Thoughts



Here is a picture of my new car.   You still can't really tell what color it is; suffice it to say its pretty much the color of chocolate milk.

I'm having fun with seeing what driving style works best for keeping the battery topped up.

I got my old car emptied of junk today, a bunch into the trash can, very nice for my OCD/neat freak side, and one step closer to getting it turned in and out of my hair.

I finally bought new running shoes; my old ones were very old, with pieces of the tread no longer firmly attached, and no significant cushioning left in them.  The new shoes, by comparison, are fabulous. They cup my heal very nicely and are very cushiony.  And intact.


I had a major project going on during the end of december through mid-february.  It involved my desk, which was very mess, and decorated in the early collage years style.  I figured it was time to get a real style.  Thus began the project.


Before the project; the lamp, purchased on a whim, formed the basis of the look we went with.  


The finished project; I went with kind of a vintage, industrial theme.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  

Vintage library card catalog for storage, which I had to replace the drawer pulls on as someone stupid/well-intentioned had replaced them with newer, larger, brighter drawer pulls.  Also, fun magnifying glass Janae gave me for Christmas, and a coaster.  

Frame for my digital picture frame; more on this below, and the new mouse, which I got from a company that makes new cases for various items, including the mouse that comes with a mac.  Same functionality, without the glaring white that just doesn't fit with my theme.  

Vintage small file cabinet, map of Venice, and clock, which I made a new face for with photoshop.  The little  leather pieces on the edges cover up some areas that were all bunged up.  

I covered all the aluminum and apple on the computer with some leather and metal bits.  The box to the side hold lip gloss and such.  

I got this new keyboard, because, a) the keyboard that comes with the mac is not a great keyboard, and it would have been really hard to make it fit my theme.  So, after some research, I got this keyboard, which has great key action, the main area where the mac keyboard is not great, and has solar recharging, so you never have your battery run out.   And I got some fun stickers for the keys that look like old type-writer keys, though its hard to tell in this picture.
The digital frame in its natural state, not suitable for the theme I'm going for.  

My first attempt, a print of rusty metal on some 3M plastic.  The shiny look didn't end up working for me.  

My second idea worked out a lot better; I made a metal facing for the frame by riveting metal pieces together.  I was able to buy all the bits at Michael's, including a metal punch, which allowed me to make the holes for the sensors as well as for the rivets.  

Finished product.  








2 comments:

EXYLED said...

Cool setup, I like it.

Jen said...

Love the end result! I especially like the card catalogs- I'd love one of those big ones that cost lots of money. I have no idea where we'd put it or what would go in it, but they sure look cool :)

I commented on your comment on my blog if you wanted to take a look.