Monday, November 17, 2014

Things that are strange.

I am four weeks post-op today.  Which means I get to start ten days of pureed food, which I had no intention of doing when I initially heard about this phase.  I mean, gross, right?  But there is nothing like four weeks of liquids to change your mind on these things...

So far, in my new high powered blender, I have blended up some pork tenderloin they had in the spot where they normally have rotisserie chickens, as well as some crab cakes, which I'm pretty sure I've never eaten before, but they were recommended by a compatriot.  Apparently fish is a lot easier to digest than chicken, pork or beef.  So we'll see how that goes.

Going back to work at two weeks post-op was not the best idea there's ever been.  Too bad I didn't realize that until it was way too late to do anything about it.  Technically I could have been a scumbag and told my work I couldn't take my work week, but I didn't feel bad enough to justify that.

And I did survive; nine days in the ICU, with newly instituted electronic notes (not very well designed), and a liquid diet.  And no caffeine.  I was truly truly exhausted, and it did not help that I had six patient's die (did not kill them, just couldn't save them; but its a higher than average number). On the plus side, one of the ICU nurses had the surgery about 6 months ago and was working about 5-6 of the days I was on, so she was able to give me advice and pep talks throughout the week.  There are actually such individuals scattered around the hospital, due to the 'free bariatric surgery for employees' program they've been offering this year.  While I did not benefit from that program because I have not worked there long enough, it did provide for lots of support people.

At this time I weigh less than I have since the beginning of my 3rd year of med school.  This is awesome, but is making the clothing situation awkward, especially with pants.

I am extremely itchy.  From asking google, this is probably due to the dramatically decreased fat content in my diet.  Lotion helps some.

I have been freezing all the time; possibly from the lack of significant carbohydrate intake.  This led to me writing notes while wrapped in multiple blankets (easy to come by in the ICU) while my fingers froze, and wearing a heavier jacket than most people would have needed.

I did not eat a single piece of halloween candy.

I get to take a bath today, which will be good because it can be a moisturizing bath.  When I felt really bad prior to getting the abscess drained I really wanted a hot bath, but it was against the rules (fresh port holes and all...).

I also get to start exercising again, beyond just walking.  Believe it or not, but I'm actually pretty excited about that.  Piyo, here I come.

I now have a second belly button (sort of) from the way the infected port hole scarred.  Apparently, this could perhaps have something done about it in the future.  I'm not sure I'd be interested though; I guess it depends on how it looks down the road.

I had a dramatic tightening of my braces during the liquid diet phase, so that worked out well, as it would have hurt to chew anyway.  Unfortunately, there will be more dramatic tightening, and once I get to eat real food, I'm supposed to chew it really, really well.  We'll see how that goes...

On a different note, it was 67 degrees and rainy today; I got to wear my rain boots, which made me happy.   I didn't even need a jacket, which also made me happy.




2 comments:

Vickie said...

first: I love the "free bariatric surgery for employees.
second: My rain boots make me happy too. =)

EXYLED said...

Free stuff is always good, especially when it helps you to feel better.