Sunday, November 2, 2014

Two weeks, more or less...

So, its been about two weeks since my surgery.  The surgery itself went well, though I have a dim memory of severe puking in the immediate post-op period, and there was a little trouble with the stomach remnant not wanting to come out through one of the port-holes.  Apparently, there wasn't anything unusual about the stomach to cause this difficulty; it was just uncooperative.  As a result, the port-hole in question was significantly more traumatized, a lot more painful and inflamed and swollen.  It was getting better slowly, however, until it suddenly started getting worse, which culminated in a visit to my surgeon's office to get my giant abscess drained.  So that was fun.

Getting the abscess drained made a tremendous difference; the next day I felt significantly better, and have been doing well since, though the affected area is still tender and unhappy (I could toss out the proper medical terminology to describe it all, but don't think anyone really cares about terminology).  We don't seem to be draining purulent material anymore, so that's a plus.

I am in the middle of four weeks of required post-op liquid diet (the surgeons have some pretty good data to back up this being good for internal healing, so I'm on board with that), and, while I am reaching my protein and liquid goals, I am also beginning to fantasize about real food.  Real food, mind you, not sweets, because my sweet tooth has mysteriously gone AWOL, which is really weird since my sweet tooth has been my life-long companion thus far.  I heard a lot of stories about things tasting different after surgery, so I guess its not completely unexpected, but still strange.  I am curious to see if it comes back at some point or not.

I have already lost 12 pounds since having the surgery, so yay me.  I can fit into some pants I haven't fit into for a long time.  If we are counting from my highest weight, before the braces and dry socket diet began, I've lost about 50 pounds, so a definite 'yay me' on that one.

Overall I'm feeling a little more energetic and motivated, and for the last couple of days have actually been getting a lot done.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ewww, sorry about the abscess- that sure doesn't sound fun. I'm guessing the kitties are happier that you're feeling better :)

Yay for weight loss!