Saturday, January 25, 2014

Random Thoughts

So, this is my first blog post using my new computer.  That's right, my old macbook, after seven years of faithful service, died, suddenly and completely the other day.  I did notice its decline, but this was mostly limited to the outer case having more and more cracks and such, and their resulting interference with the trackpad and keyboard.  One of the reasons I got an ipad was to bridge the gap until I was forced to go ahead and replace my computer, at which time I would hopefully have more money.  The sudden lack of ability to boot up was the death-knell; luckily a few years ago I started using the time-machine feature, and aside from the expense of buying a new computer and the hassle of re-entering a million passwords and settings, I didn't lose anything.  Another win for Apple.  The new computer is swoony and beautiful, and the keyboard is much nicer to type on than my malfunctioning laptop was, or the ipad, even with the touchfire in place, which makes typing on an ipad a lot more practical.  So, maybe I'll blog more, now that I have a new computer.  I did have to drive up to Raleigh, to buy it at the mall, because a new computer does not seem like the sort of thing you want delivered to your front porch...


I also recently bought a toaster oven.  I know, it shouldn't be that exciting, but it is.  I had a toaster oven in Provo, when I lived with Aunt Bee and Uncle Ed, and they are pretty amazing.  But I forgot, and only just remembered, when my little cheapo two slot toaster was dying and doing an extremely sub-standard job at toasting crumpets.  I remembered about toaster ovens and how one would do so much better of a job at toasting crumpets, as well as baking smaller servings of things, appropriate for us single types.  I then bought one at Wally world, and, oddly enough, the cheapest one was the only one that came with a little baking tray, so that's what I went for.  So far its doing an excellent job and I am excited about the purchase.


Its been a little cold here, which is ok; I didn't expect it to never be cold, I just want it to not last as long as it did in Milwaukee and Cleveland.  Its funny though, because here people freak out over a suggestion of snow, even a few flakes.  They really worry about weather they've stockpiled enough toilet paper.  They ask me what I think, and I mention that I just moved here from Cleveland, and they're like, 'oh'.


I met the sister missionaries the other day, when they invited themselves to my house.  They are extremely young.  One of them knew Janae back when she was living in Bountiful with Jamie and Rob.  Small world.  There is also a family in my ward who knew Jared and his family back in Washington.  The missionaries think I'm inactive, or some such.  I can tell they want me to be much more of a project than I actually am.  Poor girls.


There are some definite advantages to living near Pinehurst, with its population of rich people.  I hear the Goodwill has really good stuff, but have not been there to verify this myself.  I can tell you that there are much better pickings at the TJ Maxx, actual designer labels.  For the most part, I don't actually care about that, but you do tend to get what you pay for, so something that's usually expensive does tend to be of higher quality....   And I find it somewhat entertaining, myself with designer labels (don't worry, its only if I actually like it and would have bought it anyway).


We are super-busy at the hospital right now, and apparently will be until about mid-march.  So that means that I didn't get much sleep this last week on, and it means that I am pretty much guaranteed to get called in when I am on backup in a few days.  :(        It would nice if my seven days off were untouchable, but oh well.  I understand the need to have a backup person, and am glad it gets spread around evenly, no trying to screw the new people or anything.


Overall, I'm getting a little more in a good groove with work and such; this time when I'm off I don't feel like I'm in a fog for the first five days, which has sometimes happened.   I'm working on keeping my house clean, and getting more little things organized.  Its hard to want to put too much effort or money into it though, what with the crazy land-lady...  (way too long of a story to share here)  The house is supposedly going to be sold to someone less crazy, which will be better, but if I am stuck with the crazy lady, then I'll be moving to get away from her.  Fun times.  Sometimes I feel like I just can't win with this housing thing.  This is the second crazy land-person in a row, and I've had a whole slew of crazy roommates....  

Anyway, that's most of my random thoughts for now.


--------------

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Yay for upgrading your stuff!