So, when I get too tired and then get a long stretch of sleep, I almost invariably wake up with a migraine. Which is really obnoxious, because when you're super tired, what do you want more than to have a nice long sleep?
Anyway. During seven days on, those seven days technically being twelve hours but in reality closer to sixteen, can get really exhausting. Even when you come straight home and go right to bed, there's not enough time to get some decent sleep with that schedule. Now, this is not the permanent state of affairs. Some of why my days are so long is due to my own inefficiencies, which I am working on. Others reasons are due to the fact that I am still pretty recently out of residency, and spend a decent amount of time over thinking and doubting my medical decision making. That will get better over time, just as a natural progression.
This last seven days was really the most exhausting so far, and during this time off I had little interest in working to maintain a good sleep cycle, which is usually at least somewhat of a priority, and instead just decided to sleep as often and long as I can. Thus, yet another migraine. The sucky thing about migraines is that they get worse if you try to look at a screen or concentrate, especially if things are moving, and there tends to be some nausea associated, so you can't really eat anything. Unfortunately, the migraine pills, which do work, make my blood sugar drop, so then I get all shaky and trembly and sweaty and can't concentrate and want to eat everything in sight. Unfortunate.
Eventually it all evens out and the migraine is gone by then. But really an unpleasant process.
On a completely different note, its snowing, and actually sticking, which I am unimpressed by, but I am, of course, part of a tiny minority in that. I nearly didn't get to pick up my prescriptions because the pharmacy closed early. I also nearly didn't get to buy food for my coming work week, as the Walmart was going to close early as well. We are not talking about a large accumulation by the way; maybe an inch, with the roads slushy but not really icy. Fortunately, there weren't a lot of cars on the roads, so no one hit me or anything, but I did see one person walking through the middle of an intersection, and another person riding their bike, neither being something I would do. I did see one snowplow, but it was on the part of the road that is a state route, so I don't think it belongs to my town. Getting to work tomorrow should be fun.
At this point I am scarfing pita chips and hummus, part of the 'eat everything in sight' that I mentioned. Luckily, you can get good hummus at the grocery store here, which is not the case with the hospital. My hospital should NOT try to make hummus. I'm not an expert, but I did develop a taste for it at my old hospital; what with working with so many Indians, there was hummus everywhere. I assume it was decent quality, as they were eating it, too. The hummus at my current hospital is disgusting in all ways; taste, texture, you name it. Never again.
And I've just realized that I'm never going to be able to get Sephie to really eat wet kitty food, even though its better for her than dry, because she loves to crunch things. Anytime I am eating something crunchy, like pita chips, she is all up in there, trying to get some. She killed my holly plant by biting the leaves too many times, not tearing them up, just biting them. I guess the nice, thick texture was satisfying for her. Back in Milwaukee I'd see her run into the kitchen, where the kitty food was, I'd hear a single crunch, then she'd come strutting back out. Clearly just needed to crunch something. I think its probably her equivalent to Patty Cake and her endless need to scratch things. Oh well.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment