Friday, September 17, 2010

Tired blogging

So, I was the night float person at work last night, and by the time I went home at about 2:30 pm, I was actually still feeling remarkably awake, which is very strange for me. Usually my eyes are burning and I'm having massive trouble focusing or accomplishing things. And sometimes the floor will briefly tilt in a sort-of alarming way.

But today I felt fairly awake, and began to have crazy, optimistic thoughts about not taking an afternoon nap, staying awake and then going to bed at like 8:30, like I'm nine years old again. (thinking about the time dad made us go to bed when it was still light out... )(probably this happened more than once, but one time really stands out in my mind). And I was going to write a blog post. It is probably for the best that I crashed while reading someone else's blog and passed out for four hours (as near as I can tell). I did come across a great blog post about pie, which my dear older brother would enjoy if he is not offended by some swearing.

Then I was thinking about the key lime pie I made for my birthday, which was actually just lime pie because I couldn't find key lime juice anywhere and there is definitely a difference and I was disappointed with my birthday lime pie, which was really sad :( However, a few days after my birthday I was at a different, not-close-to-my-house-at-all location of Giant Eagle, which is practically the only grocery store they have out here, and I magically happened across key lime juice, so now I am considering making a *real* key lime pie tomorrow on my day off, though that's a lot of sugar to eat all by yourself when its not your birthday or right after your birthday. So we'll see if I make it or not. On a related note, it will soon be pumpkin pie season, which I am totally excited about. Over the years I have perfected an artificially-sweetened but still delicious pumpkin pie recipe that totally makes it ok to have pumpkin pie for breakfast.

I am not actually that strong a supporter of pie, though the above may look like I am, at least not to the exclusion of cake, which has its up-sides as well, though I'm not sure I could ever justify eating cake for breakfast (pumpkin pie is ok because its vegetables). I will also be able to justify eating pumpkin pie for breakfast because its early in the day and gives plenty of time to digest properly before I need to go to sleep, which is a concern, because my stomach is taking a ridiculous amount of time to digest things these days. This has an upside, in that I don't really get hungry when I'm working 14 hour days at the hospital, and if I do I can totally make do with a few spoonfuls of Skippy Peanut Butter and Honey (way better than the Jif kind) and maybe a fruit leather. But its pretty much against the rules to eat anything once I get home, unless I got off early (*gasp*)(occasionally happens) in which case I might be allowed to have my pizza innovation, which I brilliantly invented to deal with this combination of gluten intolerance and gastroparesis (the not digesting thing). You take a small bowl and pour in some pizza sauce from a jar. Add two or three pepperonis and some shredded mozzarella. Microwave for one minute and enjoy the cheesy, tomato-y, pizza-y goodness, in small bites to maximize enjoyment. You could use other toppings, but pepperoni stays good in the fridge for approximately two years, so that is helpful when it comes to my erratic schedule.

I'm getting faster and making less mistakes with typing as a result of all the typing of notes at the hospital. This newfound typing efficiency likely has something to do with this insanely long post, that and the poor impulse control that results from working a lot and still being a bit tired after waking from my nap.

Reading back over this, I see that I am indeed typing more accurately and spelling things right more often, but I've had to correct a lot of places where I slipped in the wrong word. Oops.

Maybe its time to enjoy some black cherry kool-aid with lime (how I'm using up the bottle of inferior, not-key-lime juice) (it becomes a pleasantly tangy cherry limeade) and maybe do some more blog-stalking.

:D

1 comment:

whalespew said...

What’s with all the people on that site saying pie is not suitable for a birthday? They obviously have led deprived lives. Pie is infinitesimally better than cake for a birthday, no contest.

I quote from an influential tome on the subject at hand, The Lost Art of Pie Making by Barbara Swell, pages 4,18: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Art-Making-Made-Easy/dp/1883206421/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284956257&sr=8-1

Pie is slow food in a too-fast world. Pie is a loving gesture. Good pie is simple and wholesome and real. You know what else pie is? Pie is sitting on the front porch glider having a lively conversation with family and friends, even though it’s hot outside and there are a few mosquitoes to swat. It’s kids playing in the woods, crisp cotton sheets frying on the clothes line, crickets humming in the backyard, and time enough to play croquet. Pie is home….

Men LOVE pie! After exhaustive research on the topic, I’ll tell you how I know. Whenever I mention pie to a man, there’s a 99% chance he will say: “Oh, I just love pie.” I must say that I always ask, “Why?” Invariably, the answer is, “Well, I just do.” You see, women usually say they like pie, then they go on (and on) about what kinds of pie they like or don’t like, and it usually turns out that they really prefer chocolate cake.