Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My favorite... random thoughts

Over labor day Cleveland hosts an airshow at the little lakeside airport which is a scant 5-6 blocks from my apartment. This year the big name act was the Navy Blue Angels, which are super-cool. I actually saw at least part of their show all three days. Saturday was rainy all morning with low clouds in the afternoon, so they did their low version of their show, which misses out on a lot of great climbing-high-into-the-sky type stuff, but what can you do?


Still very cool, and I have forever implanted in my memory the vision of them in tight formation over the tall buildings of downtown against the blue sky (it was blue sky over there for a brief period...)


On Sunday all through church we could hear the various planes making tons of noise, and the blue angels were doing their thing right when my ward let out, so I pulled over and watched the end of the show. I could also hear tons of noise in my apartment, which Sephie thought I should make stop, but I'm not quite as amazing as I would need to be to make that happen. Then on Monday, since I was the night float person and didn't have to go in until late, I woke at a late hour and walked over to see the full, high altitude version of the show, which was really cool. They could brush each others teeth out there and not break formation :)


On a different note, I went kayaking for my birthday on the nearby Rocky River, and sunburned my hands.

Who would have thought? This is a pic of where the river meets Lake Erie; I paddled around out on the lake for awhile, but it was pretty rough and I was getting sea sick,


so I decided to head back up river, where it was calm. Very calm. Kayaking in the midwest is certainly a different entity than it is out west; I had fun, but I do miss whitewater, something a little more dynamic...



Also for my birthday (since I turned 30 I felt like I needed to properly mark the day, so I did stuff three different days), on my actual birthday, (in the evening, cause I had to work) I explored part of the the towpath for the Ohio and Erie Canal, a section that still has water in. The section in question also has an intact aqueduct (one of two remaining) for taking the canal over and perpendicular to a stream that happens to cross its path, (two streams cross in a green wood...) and also the remains of lock 40, which is apparently a great spot for fishing.

Lock 40


This is the view looking the other direction (hard to believe this is in the middle of Cleveland). It really was a beautiful evening, a hint of twilight chill in the air, heavy with the scent of moisture and green, growing things, crickets loud in the background, the occasional fish jumping to break the stillness...

On a separate but related topic is this business of being an adult. At the ripe old age of 30, I've been on my own for an excess of 10 years. I generally keep my act together, mainly because things average out, and days when I'm all motivated help balance days when I get absolutely nothing done. I also sometimes suspect that I'm only able to keep it together because in general, my life isn't that complicated. Its more complicated than I want it to be, but I don't have to worry about a lot of the stuff a lot of people have to worry about (mainly other people in my life; I only have to cook and clean for myself (and the cat, but she's pretty low maintenance)). So I really identified with this, a blog post which talks about the (fairly common, judging by the comments) struggle to be an adult, when its often






VS






In the same blog is another post that I enjoyed the heck out of, where the author has posted a new version of the pain scale we (try to) use on a daily basis. The problem with the pain scale is that people don't get it, and think that if they tell me a number higher than ten on a ten scale, that that really emphasizes how much pain they are in, when all it really does is make me discount their pain scale rating. Especially when they are sitting comfortably, in no apparent distress. (You just can't be in 30/10 pain and not even look uncomfortable). This new pain scale is actually exactly what the numbers ought to mean, if only those people would realize it. (sorry for the rant, I couldn't stop myself).

:)

No comments: