Wednesday, April 28, 2010

announcing my retirement

The road has been good to me. Over the years I've had the chance to drive to northern California to see the redwoods and to Prince Edward Island because its beautiful. I have revisited my childhood home in Ohio. I have revisited friends in Utah. I have seen Mount Rushmore (twice) (both during Sturgis week). I have been to Yellowstone, and Devil's Tower. I've driven to Zion National Park, and to Arches National Park. I've seen Niagara Falls on the way to PEI.

It hasn't all been rosy, though. I have stories; the time the hood wasn't properly latched and flipped up, smashing into the windshield while I was driving 80 mph on the freeway. The time the Jetta broke down three ways at once. The time I got ran off the road and played automobile pinball with some large shrubs and a sound wall (I just drove past the spot - the carcass of one of the shrubs I killed is still sitting there). The numerous times I've been stuck in Wyoming (Rawlins, Laramie, Cheyenne) due to snow. The $35 paid in tolls getting from Syracuse, New York back to Milwaukee, WI.

In the last six months I've spent a lot of time driving. Four different states for interviews. Out to Colorado for Christmas. Out to Utah for an away rotation. Out to Cleveland to find an apartment. In there was also the aforementioned game of automobile pinball, as well as one of the 'getting stuck in Wyoming' incidents. I've put 6,000 miles on a car I leased in January. And now, enough!

I am pleased to announce my retirement from road tripping, though I will fulfill previously made commitments (moving to Cleveland, driving around Great Britain). I reserve the right to come out of retirement, should there be strong enough motivation. I am looking forward to driving only short distances, and plan to explore the immediate environs of my new city (once I move there), rather than embarking on any long trips.

:)

No comments: