Since I've spent most of the month on the road, I've got a system worked out. It makes packing to go to Colorado for Christmas fairly simple. Sephy is also becoming adept at telling when I'm about to drive away and leave her; she's been looking at me with sad eyes all evening. I've told her three times that she's coming too this time, but being a cat she doesn't understand. She's very clingy these days, poor kitty.
In Indiana, where most of the roads are just two lanes, there are a lot of optimistic truck drivers. They wait until you're almost upon them and then they pull out to spend 10 minutes passing the truck in front of them. I figure it shaves 30 seconds off their total travel time, so that's worth it. More likely torturing other motorists is their only amusement on a long haul.
I've been making lists of pros and cons for my top three programs so far. The way I rank them doesn't guarantee anything, but I'd still like to feel confident that I've ranked them appropriately. Already they are running together in my head. I ran into a guy the other day who was on his 12th interview and not done yet. Yuck. The whole process makes me tired.
Its funny how Sephy will be sleeping, curled up in a ball, then wake up to groom herself. She'll be licking whichever part of her fur was closest to her face before she can even be properly awake. It sure would be nice if proper grooming was the biggest of my worries.
I tried sleeping the car the other night. Even though I was bundled up from here to next week I still froze my butt off in what was possibly the most miserable night of my life. I dozed off once or twice for a moment or two but other than that was wide awake and freezing. Which really makes me wonder how homeless people do it. Every time I see homeless people in Chicago it makes me wonder why they don't start walking south and be homeless in a warmer part of the country...
The hotel I stayed at in Syracuse, which the emergency medicine dept paid for part of, was an older hotel, with a funky elevator with buttons that stay pushed in when you push them and that starts with a jerk. My room was square and had a relatively high ceiling, which made it seem nice and spacious. Much better than the standard long narrow rooms. It also had a down comforter on the bed, which was fabulous. I am a huge fan of down comforters.
No comments:
Post a Comment