If you're out looking for a bird to eat but don't want turkey, perhaps because it's too large, you have other options. This lovely duck is not only premium quality but comes with an orange sauce packet. To the truly informed, I'm sure there is no question of wether the sauce is orange flavored or merely orange colored.

For the consumer who finds that even the smaller duck is just too much meat, the cornish game hen is a strong option. I think these are small enough that Sephie could make short work of one, and she is not a large cat.

This next section is dedicated to my dad, especially this first one. Aside from the one row of cocktail sauce (likely full of horseradish) these are all horseradish sauces!!! Yum! *heavy sarcasm*

Next we have a second look at the mystery meat from my first fun food post, though this time they are clearly labeled "smoked pork hocks." It still looks pretty suspicious to me, but Wikipedia states that such items are very important in flavoring soul food. Let that be a lesson unto you.

Also in the category of suspicious looking pig parts are these attractive pig feet, which are sold in the meat section as if they were food, but we've used them at school to practice suturing on too many times for me to look at them that way.

Moving on to other animals, we have some lovely "beef honeycomb tripe" or menudo, depending on your culture and what you plan to do with it, i.e. make soup out of it or throw it in the trash can. Although these examples don't even look that stomach-y...

Making the short jump from the stomach to the liver, we have some nice liver sausage and liver cheese, and while the liver sausage is safely shrouded in a covering to protect the casual onlooker, the liver cheese looks to be the texture of paste, but probably has a less attractive flavor. And yes, I am totally judging it by appearances as I have no intention of ever tasting this. Dad, I can bring some at Christmas if you're interested.


Next to last, but certainly not least, is some delicious scrapple! I had to look this one up; "traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving" or "everything but the oink." Very frugal with the pork parts. Once again, thank you, wikipedia, and may I just mention that the entire article on scrapple is pretty entertaining...

And finally, perhaps the most scarey of all, sold in big plastic buckets, Chitterlings! Pork Chitterlings, to be more specific, because the pig certainly lends itself well towards sketchy food-like products ( maybe next time I'll include a few pictures of SPAM, deviled ham, and other such vileness). Pronounced 'chittlins,' this is basically a big 10 lb bucket of pig intestines, for your eating pleasure. These too are important in soul food, but certainly not limited to that genre. Overall, I am less inclined to try soul food than I previously was.

Overall, a fun shopping trip. I also saw more varieties of head cheese, but since that had already been featured, I didn't take any more pictures. I was glad to buy my pork-part-less turkey breast and get safely home, though I did find it contained a packet of unnecessary innards and a big chunk of neck, both of which went straight into the trash. Happy Holidays, eh?
1 comment:
Glad I already ate breakfast, 'cause I think I just lost my appetite. Yuck!
Post a Comment