Thursday, August 29, 2013

Yay! I have internet again!

So, after nearly two months of relying solely on 3G/4G internet on my phone and ipad, I finally got real internet again!  This is a truly fabulous thing, especially because data can be pretty expensive on an ipad, and that's not even for LTE, because here there is only 4G.

I took a moment to read over that and just had a flash on how that statement wouldn't have even made sense ten years ago.  Ten years ago, no internet would have been no internet.  I've been thinking about this because, having just moved, a smart phone makes a huge difference.  You can navigate, you can find what's in your area quickly, and not spend all your time driving around lost, which is what I did when I first moved to Milwaukee.

I had to take my car to the dealership to get checked out, since its been having trouble with the power steering cutting out, which seems like a potentially dangerous state of affairs.  Its been there since monday, and they finally called me today to let me know they need a part which may come on friday.  The guy who was supposed to call me about a loaner vehicle did not call.  So I am still trapped in my house.  Luckily I live close to things, so I'm not completely stranded, but if I run out of food, I'll have a problem.  We'll see how this pans out.

I finished my first week of work the other day, it was a little stressful, as any new job is, and its a little bit of an adjustment, in a nice way, to not have to get to anyone's approval to follow my plan for the patient.  Its a little different being in a hospital without residents, and to not get a negative reaction from people when you call them for a consult.

Now that I have internet for my computer again, I'll post some pictures from Greece, so be on the lookout for that.

We are making good progress with the new litter box.  Sephy still doesn't like it, but for now she is reliably using it, so that's good.  I got a new metal brush that's really good at getting the extra hair out, and when I brush patty-cake, with her longer hair, I get a pretty large fur ball, which, for some reason, she likes to play with.  Since its a free cat toy, I can't complain, and at least I am not keeping them to make into a necklace, as seen on regretsy and other places.    It seems there is actually a market for that type of thing, crazy as it sounds.

As you know, it was just my birthday.  I got a number of email and print coupons and offers from various companies that I have interacted with over the years, the corporate 'birthday gift.'  Easy for them, and in many cases, not likely to be used.  A prime example of this is Tucanos, whose mailing list I signed up for back when I lived in Provo, a good four moves ago.  Even though I live more than half way across the nation, they send me a coupon for a free birthday meal every year, and the really amazing thing is that they always have my up-to-date address.  The one this year is addressed to my current house, not forwarded from my previous house.  Simply amazing.  Certainly this is good PR, and certainly I would use the coupon if I happened to be visiting Utah during my birthday month, because they are super-tasty, but the real point here is that whoever is in charge of their mailing list is doing a really good job, and ought to get a large bonus.  And contract out as an consultant to the numerous technology-challenged companies out there, still struggling to bring their business into the modern era.  On a similar note, I recently purchased a book on half.com, and in the process of entering my new shipping address, noted that I have never gone through and deleted my old addresses, so in case I need to list my old addresses on a form and can't remember them (I can't) they are available in the half.com database.

An alternate way of looking at the Tucanos thing is that they are stalking me and I should be scared.  Very scared.

In order to get a drivers license in this state I had to take the written test, and I learned some stuff about the driving rules here.  For example, if someone is trying to pass, you are supposed to slow down and move over a bit, assist them to pass.  You are specifically not supposed to speed up.  What I'm used to is people specifically speeding up.  Because as we all know, being passed is showing weakness.  I haven't had a chance to verify if people abide by these rules.

I'm watching The Goonies on my ipad.  Got to love the internet.

:)

No comments: