Sunday, February 3, 2013

Things that are strange

We keep swinging between unseasonably warm and extremely cold, with plenty of snow thrown in.  The Cleveland suburb I live in is in what is known as the second snow belt, referencing lake effect snow, of which there is a lot.

I have just under five months of residency left.  I have two weeks vacation coming up, starting next Friday, and while I'd really love to go somewhere warm and sunny with a beach, I can't afford to, so I'm having a staycation instead.  At first I was a little sad about this, but now am relatively excited.  I'm going to get lots and lots of sleep, go play in the pool and sauna at my gym, maybe get a massage...  And there are a few museums here in Cleveland, like the art museum, that are supposed to be really good, and I should go to them before I move.  One thing I've learned from moving around is that every place has its unique local features, and you should try to explore as many of them as possible before you move on.

I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, probably from typing so much for work.  Luckily, I know what to do (NSAIDs and a wrist brace).   Unfortunately, this is yet another sign that I am getting old (my back now goes pop, pop, pop when I twist and stretch) and that residency has not been kind to my body.

I have officially made a decision about the job quest.  When I last posted, I had just been to two interviews, and was waiting to hear back.  Well, I waited, and then waited some more, and then decided to reopen my search because I was not appreciative of the wait.  So I scheduled two more interviews, and just before I went to the first one, one of the original two got back to me and made an offer.  Then I went to the interview, and they made an offer.  Then the second of the original two finally got back to me and made an offer.  Then I went to the last interview, and they made an offer.  So, unexpectedly I had four job offers to choose from.  Three of the four were good hospitals that I could see myself working at, and two of them were offering a very competitive salary.  Of the four, there was just one area that I immediately loved and wanted to move to, so amid other considerations as well, that was the one I went with.  So I have signed a letter of intent to move to Pinehurst, North Carolina, and am feeling pretty excited about it.  It is also very nice to have this process wrap up, so I can move on with licensing and all the prep involved in making it happen.

Anyway, that's about it for now.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Yay! I'm glad you have signed on somewhere. Enjoy chasing the paper trail for licensing =)