Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lake Erie Lighthouse Cruising

As I've mentioned, I have a plan, nearly completed at this point, to see all the lighthouses in Ohio. Not counting some wanna-bes down on some random resorvoir in the middle of the state.  To further my quest, I needed to see some from boats, as they are either out in the middle of the harbor (Toledo), or on islands, some which are nature preserves that you're not allowed to go to (West Sister).  When I was looking into this, I came across some lighthouse cruises designed for that exact purpose.  Admittedly, a lot of the people along on these were little old ladies and their little old husbands.  However, for those of us who don't drink or party, we need other hobbies...

Anyway.



West Sister Island Lighthouse

West Sister from the boat

Pelee Island Lighthouse, which is acutally part of Ontario

South Bass Island Lighthouse
South  Bass Island lighthouse from land

Perry Memorial and International Peace Monument.  Sort of a lighthouse.  

View from the top of the memorial, of Put-in-bay, South Bass Island. 



Inside a honkin big geode.  These crystals are several inches across, very cool.  

The 'lake' inside Perry's cave on South Bass Island.  This was a valuable source of fresh water for the troops during the war of 1812, which is when Perry led the troops to victory during the battle for Lake Erie.  I did not know any of this prior to my visit to the island, but I learned all about it while there.  

A fun sign by the pier at Put-in-bay, South Bass Island
A few days later I went on another cruise to the Toledo Harbor lighthouse, which is a bit farther west than the islands.

Toledo Harbor Lighthouse.  It was a lovely day, obviously, but even without that, this is one of my favorite ohio lighthouses, because of the fun architecture.  


Turtle Island Lighthouse, or the remains of it.  This was replaced by the Toledo Harbor light, and has been a wreck ever since.  The island likes to erode as well.  
Anyway.  Since that last one is kind of depressing, here is a picture of my kitties, getting their snuggle on.


No comments: