Anyway, I was doing Nutrisystem to lose some weight, and I did lose 10 lb, but all the nutrisystem food is processed crud that's been sitting around in the package for who knows how long and tastes like it. At the same time I was reading this book,
Anyway, all that was buildup to a funny story. I got off work this morning and had every intention of coming home and juicing some stuff. The guy who made the above-mentioned movie has a web site with, among other things, recipes for juices that combine well. I had the ingredients to make a certain juice that I wasn't that excited about because I made it the other day too and didn't like it that much. So perhaps the cucumbers sat around a few days too many. By "perhaps" I mean "mushy, sunken-in, smelling-weird, and gross". Also "directly into the trash". So much for that. But the other ingredients had in fact already been juiced and were sitting in the cup looking lonely. I should interject that juicing things is quite fun; its kind of like shoving things down the dish disposal and watching them get chewed up (I'm thinking of a "Home Improvement" episode involving an industrial-strength dish disposal and Tim shoving ever-increasingly large items into it). Anyway, I decided that instead I'd throw in some red cabbage that I had, and some broccoli (tip - not much juice in broccoli) and some strawberries... I pretty much stuck in everything I had sitting around needing to be eaten. The results actually tasted ok, so more experimentation with the juicer is probably in the future...

3 comments:
Yeah, I have to be really careful to make sure our fruit and veggies don't end up in the trash. Yay for juicing!
Despite not being a huge fan of Home Improvement, I think I actually remember that one!
Does juicing remove the fiber at all? I was drinking an Odwalla/Naked or something the other day and was surprised at the low fiber content. I guess I thought that kind of a juice would pride itself in maintaining a lot of fiber. Or maybe the only way to keep it is to juice your own stuff. I don't know, just curious.
I don't think there's much fiber in the juice, since most vegtable fiber is the bulky part that goes in the disposal bin of the juicer, but I'm also eating lots of veggies and fruits, so maintaining plenty of fiber...
Post a Comment