Thursday, May 10, 2012

me, cynical?

I've been accused of being cynical on multiple occasions.  Not surprising, as I am, very.  I always respond that my cynicism is based in reality.  And it is.

This is going to sound bitter, and cynical, but its got to be said.  Patients are jerks.  Not all of them, but some of them, certainly.  I learned a lesson, back when I was a nurse in the care centers, that you can't care more about a patient's health and well-being than they do.  That way lies madness.  And an opening for manipulation that some patients are quick to see and use.  (Did I get burned once?  Clearly, I did) ('I got burned once' is a well-known medical principle)

Anyway, I just re-learned that lesson, with a variation.  This time I learned that the harder you try to help someone, the more they expect you to help them.  The way they want to be helped, not the way they need to be helped.

I'd give you the details, but they're covered under HIPAA.

A little more of my small supply of faith in humanity has just been squished.

No comments: