
So, my long term readers will be aware that I have a cat, Sephy, who I am a big fan of. I have had her about 3.5 years, and she is a good cat. She doesn't scratch things, she's quiet, she doesn't constantly demand attention, and she lets me give her a bath when necessary without making a big fuss. What with the long hours I've been working and the rarely-interesting view from the window, she's been bored out of her gourd... I could tell she was lonely by the guilt-inducing eyes she makes at me when I have to go back to work after a day off.
For several weeks I've been thinking off and on of getting another cat to keep her company. Last saturday I went down to the Cleveland Animal Protection League and looked at the cats, and decided, fairly precipitously, to bring one of them home.
I'm still not sure it was a good idea after all.
Either way, this is Pat. She is about the same size as Sephy, i.e. not large, two years old, and, like Sephy, has been relieved of her reproductive organs but not her claws. She let me give her a bath without there being too much fuss. So far, so good. She's more of a snuggle bug than Sephy is.
They are still periodically hissing at each other.
The drama is almost comical at times. After Sephy got over her initial fear than Pat was a danger to her person, she realized that Pat was actually a danger to her position as queen of the apartment, and stepped up her game appropriately. Somehow, Sephy has made it clear that Pat doesn't get to come upstairs. I'm not really sure how that happened.
I bought a bag of the science diet food at the shelter, which is what they were feeding Pat, though I will not be maintaining that high quality of food, but I've learning from painful experience that you have to switch kitty food gradually, or you get puking. Large volume puking. On the rug, instead of on the concrete or wood floor. The bowl for Pat is mostly science diet with some friskies mixed in. The bowl for Sephy is mostly friskies with some science diet mixed in, so Pat will still get some of what she's used to if she eats out of Sephy's bowl (which she does). However, Sephy is not a fan of science diet. She vetoes it with a "phtwooie" leaving pieces of science diet on the floor surrounding the bowl. Lots of pieces. I don't think she's actually eaten any at all, just spit it out on the floor...
Today we seem to be moving a little closer to peaceful co-existence, and while its too soon to tell if the kitties are going to be friends or not, at lease Sephy isn't bored any more.
:)
1 comment:
Glad to hear it's going fairly well- at least there hasn't been any knock-down-drag-out fights :)
Post a Comment