Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Medicine and Humanities

So, this months I'm doing a rotation called The Art of Medicine through the Humanities, which is great, because we don't have to show up till 10:30, then we just sit around and talk about stuff. We do do a lot of reading in preparation for this class, and among many others we read a rather dense essay about being a doctor and a writer by a guy named William Carlos Williams, who was a big name in the writing world, apparently, so much so that he is known as WCW in some circles (he gets his own acronym) and, while the essay was a bit dense, I ran across this poem of his, which I thought was great;

This Is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


I'm sure you haven't heard the end of this class :)

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I like the poem - but only if I'm the writer and the one that got the plums!