
I also got a copy of A Great Big Ugly Man Came Up and Tied His Horse to Me, which is a really fun book of nonsense limericks that we had growing up. I got it off half.com, since it was published in 1973 and as far as I know has never been republished. Fun times.
On a different note, I have been on a citrus kick since March, I think, and my recent visit to Key West only served to intensify this kick and direct it in the lime area, so when I was recently at the grocery store down the street that sometimes has fun things, like the awesome cleaner that got the giant pink stain out of my white coat that got there from washing it with a piece of red paper in the pocket. I have also seen actual bags of key limes there. This time I was perusing the jelly section and happened upon Lime Curd, which sounds remotely gross, but looked harmless enough, just a light green gelatinous business in a jar.

So I made an impulse buy and purchased it, since it only cost $2 or so, and then I took it home and it sat on the shelf for awhile, because what the heck do you do with lime curd? Eventually I decided to spread it on toast and see what happened. After all, it had been found in the jelly section... The other day I finally tried this experiment, and it was a success! Basically it is lime jelly, very smooth, a bit sweeter than I would like, almost making it a desert instead of a breakfast food, but quite delicious. I don't think lime would go well with peanut butter though, so PB&J is probably out.
Today, another of my four days off, I went to the farmer's market, and bought awesome tomatoes, peas, melon, apples, apple cider, and some decorative gourds to put in a bowl on the table. I might get some indian corn again too, though this is less certain as Sephy had fun chomping on the husks last year, the little stinker. I am a really big fan of farmers markets, though. There is a little old lady that sells heirloom varieties of apples out of the back of her truck, and all sorts of veggies, and plants and flowers, and... I usually have to make sure I don't bring too much cash, otherwise I buy too much. When all those beautiful fruit and veggies are just sitting there begging me to buy them, its hard to remember that you probably can't eat them all before they go bad. *sigh*
.
No comments:
Post a Comment