Good thing I didn't write a new post while I was on call on Saturday; it would have been a bit, um, interesting. As it was, there was no time to even think about such frivolous time wasting, since it was a very stormy day, and for the uninformed (me, before saturday), storms make pregnant ladies go into labor. En mass. Particularly hispanic, not-a-single-word-of-english ladies, so that was fun. It was completely insane, with more people coming in as soon as a labor room emptied. St Mary's has nine labor rooms, three triage rooms, one recovery room (where they go after a c-section), and nine antepartum rooms, where pregnant ladies hang out when they have problems that we need to keep a close eye on. At one point we had all of these rooms filled, and started sending people up to the eighth floor med-surg unit. There was also some discussion about moving triage to the parking lot, but as it was raining pretty hard I think they were joking. St Mary's isn't even the busiest hospital for L&D. I shudder to think what St Joe's must have been like. Anyway, we really cleared the field of impending deliveries; my fellow student who was on call the next day got nine hours of sleep. Absolutely revolting.
Today we're back to warmth, which is fabulous. I'm really beginning to think it could be time to take down my window plastic, but I'm not sure. I definitely don't want to temp fate. As of right now, its supposed to be sunny for the next several days. Halle-freakin-lujah! (Can I get an amen! brother)
Anyway.
I'm definitely counting down the days till stupid-melody moves out, possibly because instead of taking out the trash she just gets another bag and puts it on the floor... Gross! And all her trash, since I'm hardly ever at home this month. It could be the overwhelming old-hard-boiled-egg smell the filled the kitchen when I woke up this morning, the smell fueled both by the eggs left out on the counter and by the shells left in the sink. To be reasonable, she would have had to move her dirty dishes out of the way to get the shells into the dish disposal (which I'm not sure she knows exists, since she has a habit of flushing old food down the toilet) (and not wiping splashed residue off the seat) (again, gross!) Or it could be the fact that Sephy was her normal self when I left for the hospital this morning and when I got back she was hiding in the corner and refused to come out (not Sephy at all). I don't know what, if anything, happened, but it makes me mad to see that kind of change in her behavior when no one else was around...
Stupid stupid-melody.
Just over one month left.
She doesn't know I've decided to stay here after she's gone, and I'm not intending to tell her. I think Jeff Foxworthy (I think) put it best when he said "I need some space..... without you in it."
I'm going to Mexico this weekend with Jared to volunteer in a clinic; pretty exciting. I've never been to Mexico and speak only a little spanish, but fortunately got to practice on all of my hispanic ladies in labor, so I'm getting a little better.
The longer I have my iphone the more cool things I discover about it.
The economy being in the toilet makes travel pretty cheap these days; I kind of hope it doesn't recover too fast, cause I'm planning a trip to europe after I graduate.
1 comment:
Amen brother!!!
Post a Comment