Saturday, April 11, 2009

Change in perspective

So, throughout life everyone experiences changes in perspective, like at some points in life you are actually excited for snow, and at other times you just want it all to stop so you can be warm again. There have definitely been times when I have deeply resented having to go to work for eight hours, because, well then your whole day is shot. And then something happens and your perspective changes. In this case what happened was being on call for OB/GYN, when you really do have to keep track of your hours so you don't go over the 30 hour limit. So you show up at 6:00 or earlier to see your patients, and then you stay until the following morning, around 7:30, or, in this case 8:15, because I got to stick around for case discussion, and present a patient. I don't think it's fair to expect me to present a patient post-call. But it went ok, and then I got leave, 26 hours after I arrived. Somewhere in there I got about 45 minutes of sleep. When I got home I had the interesting and somewhat unnerving experience of waiting to fall asleep, still a little tense, feeling a great dark nothing creeping up my spine only to be shoved back down by a snap of alert tension. I fell into a sleep coma shortly thereafter.

When I woke up, about five hours later and mysteriously refreshed, I did customary post call (previously post-exam) day stuff, like wash my dishes, take out the trash, clean the litter box... Regrettably, stupid-melody (one and a half months left!) does not do these things post exam. Either she has no intention of ever cleaning, or she is trying to pretend she didn't just finish exams, not realizing that I know other M1's, so I know they just finished an exam block. Anyway.

This morning, when I woke up, I was a little sad, because I had to go to work. I told myself that I need the money and to suck it up. Then I remembered that it's only an eight hour shift, not so much time at all! Nothing in comparison to 26 hours. And they'll give me money in exchange! All they want is eight little hours of my time, and, to top it off, they aren't going to ask me questions all night either. Great day!  

On a different note, 

Here we have some refrigerator magnet poetry, which can be senseless and yet oddly significant at the same time, which is the whole reason to have word magnets for your fridge. I thought I'd share :)

No comments: