Sunday, February 15, 2009

Soothing my OCD side

The last couple of days I have been soothing my OCD side, the side that really likes things neatly organized and properly cataloged.  The side responsible for the extremely numerous hours spent making sure my itunes library was properly labeled with artist, album, and album art.  For some time now I have been on the lookout for a curio shelf on which to put on the bits and bobs I have picked up in various places, since not only have all those things been completely disorganized in a half-dozen odd places, but they have been hiding, and what is the point of fun souvenirs if you stick them in a box and never look at them?  For example, my little Eiffel Tower, absolute requirement to buy on a trip to Paris, but has been tucked in a box, never removed, since 2000 when I got it.  However, at a fun store nearby called The Open House, Estate Sales and Consignment Shop, I finally found an old typeset drawer, which someone had already converted for use as a curio shelf.  It had been there for awhile, so I got a nice discount on it, which was good, because it did need some cleanup.  After several hours of work, it looked like this.  


I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, especially how it looks rather Arts and Crafts-y, which is one of my favorite styles.  Once I put all my stuff on it, it looks like this,

which is kind of funny, since it makes my stuff look pretty scarce.  But I'm happy that there is plenty of space for more souvenirs, since I plan to continue travelling.  

Also by way of soothing my OCD side, I put together an album in iphoto called 'Me and large anchors, who knows why...'  It started with this picture, which is at the National Maritime



Museum in Greenwich, England, where I went with my friend Brenda in 2004.  There are several other pictures in the same album; I could include one of Jessica if it weren't an album called me and  large anchors...  You might wonder how I got on the subject of large anchor pictures, a reasonable thing to wonder, certainly.  That would be mainly because I had to pull out my journal of that trip in 2004 to make sure I was putting things in the right order in my picture directory of my pin collection that I am putting together.  See what I mean about OCD?   

I also cleaned my room.  My OCD side is nicely soothed.   


3 comments:

Vickie said...

I love the curio shelf!!
Do you think Jared will let me have one?

Jena said...

If you are lucky! But it takes luck to find something like that!!! If you ever do, buy it anyway :)

Jme said...

It looks amazing! I wish I had something like that. and then I would have to get stuff to put in it!