So, as I mentioned before, I'm on a quest to see all the ohio lighthouses. I happened to notice that the only one left to see to the east of Cleveland was practically on the border with Pennsylvania. Then I happened to notice that there are three lighthouses in Erie, PA, only a short distance farther on. So I decided to take a field trip. It was an overcast day, but I hoped it wasn't really going rain...
 |
| The lighthouse at Conneaut, OH |
 |
| Best view of the lighthouse |
 |
| I waded out into the water to get this shot, but wasn't about to climb this breakwater, as there were waves frequently breaking over it, not my idea of a good time. It was pretty calm on this side of the breakwater, not so much on the other side. |
I walked about thirty minutes from the parking lot to get this close, and right after I started back, it started raining, a downpour. I got very wet by the time I made it back to the car. Luckily I had time to warm up and mostly dry out on the way to Erie.
This is the land lighthouse in Erie, PA. It was the first lighthouse in the area, and is on a bluff in the city, overlooking the entrance to the harbor. Its called the land lighthouse because the others are out on the spit of land that forms the harbor.
Erie has a great natural harbor formed by this spit of land, called Presque Isle, most of which is a state park. It happens to be home to two lighthouses and some nice beaches.
 |
| Presque Isle, PA lighthouse |
 |
| Presque Isle North Pierhead Light |
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment